<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Panicked to Merry and Bright

Monday, November 26, 2012

Panicked to Merry and Bright

This is my little pouting angel Christmas 2008


I love Christmas. It is one of my favorite times of year. I love the focus on Christ, neighbors being kind to each other and visiting friends. What is bothersome to me is the panic that is creeping up my chest of all of the things I am not doing that I feel like I should be. The last few years since I have been single, I have learned to simplify. Here are a few things that are going to make OUR Christmas Merry and Bright.

What I am cutting out this year
  • Christmas Cards, we even had family pictures done but in thinking about this I realized that I don't have the time or the money. This is a huge relief.
  • Lots of gifts, my kids will just be getting a few well picked and thought out gifts this year
  • Baking for all of my friends and neighbors, my neighbors don't even talk to each other I am actually the only one in the whole circle that delivers a treat. I feel that this is one way I can reach out to my neighbors, so this year I am handing out a healthy pancake mix in a mason jar. 
  • Attending every party and family gathering. This has always almost ruined my Christmas' in the past. Running from one event to the next and being EXPECTED to be in attendance nearly fried my nerves. This year I will pick the most important ones and go to those with a cheerful smile on my face.
  • Instead of making 10 ( I am not kidding) of our families favorite treats I will pick ONE or TWO that the kids can help me with. Probably Sugar Cookies and That Damn Mix
  • This year I am putting my pride to the side and going to The Ex's house for Christmas morning. It is his year to have the kids for the morning, and his new wife kindly invited me to come over. I think this might be a nice new tradition to incorporate into Christmas. Plus, it is the kids that will benefit the most. Last Christmas, the kids Dad came over to open gifts with us it was nice that we both got to experience that with our children. I am grateful that his new wife understands that and extended the invite.  PLUS, this also means that Santa only visits his house...taking some pressure off of me. 
Christmas Traditions to Keep:
  • Each year I buy my kids an ornament. They have their own boxes of ornaments that they use to help decorate the tree. When they get married they can then take their ornaments with them so they will have SOMETHING to decorate a tree with. I also buy a little picture frame ornament and put a current picture of them in it, so when they take their ornaments I will still have a a picture of my sweet kids each year.
  • Going to the Temple to see the Christmas Lights and feeling the spirit of the Temple and Christ.
  • Going for a drive one night, getting hot chocolate and looking at Christmas lights while listening to Christmas music on the radio
  • Decorating the house, but this year I am just putting up the tree, stockings and for the first time in 3 CHRISTMASES I put up the lights around the house ALL by MYSELF!
  • ELF on the SHELF...one of our MOST FAVORITE Christmas Traditions
  • For a Family Home Evening we carefully unpack the Nativity and talk about each person/animal and read from Luke about the birth of Christ
  • Pick a few special people here and there to do be "Secret Service Agents" usually this is my kids dropping off a treat and door bell ditching it.
  • A few special family gatherings
  • I will cook a special meal for Christmas
  • Reading a Christmas story to my kids each night before bed
  • Christmas Music playing in the house during the day
  • New Christmas Dress and Tie/Socks for the kids

This will be a Christmas of loving each other, with each person helping and feeling important, feeling the Spirit, and REALLY putting CHRIST first and not the PANIC that I am not measuring up because I didn't do all the things I used to. This year I am doing what I know is the right thing and that is having PEACE, LOVE and HOPE for the holiday season. 

1 Comments:

At November 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM , Blogger [MORGAN] said...

Yay! I love these traditions! Especially love getting rid of the Christmas cards. Such as stress you don't need in your life right now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home