<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Lost and Alone in Madrid, Spain

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Lost and Alone in Madrid, Spain


 The Madrid Spain Temple

I have to tell the pre-story or PREFACE of this story before I can get into the actual facts of getting lost in Spain. Here it goes.

If you are my friend on Facebook you were able to see a little video clip I put on there of me in Plaza de America's being totally swarmed, and attacked by pigeons. It pretty much consisted of me squealing and pigeons flying into my face and me feeling totally disoriented.

In fact here are a few pictures...nothing like getting up close and personal with a gazillion white doves and pigeons.

I guess it is too hot for visitors to come and feed the pigeons in the summer. You can imagine the birds glee when this young, beautiful, ignorant, American girl came for the pigeon feeding experience. I had visions of me singing to the birds like Snow White and them gracefully landing on my hand (ONE AT A TIME) and happily chirping and taking a little seed as a snack from my palm. Alas, life isn't ever what we think its going to be is it? It was more like attack of the pigeons..feeding frenzy massacre. SO after I posted this video my friend Tara sent me a message through Facebook basically telling me she was in SPAIN TOO! RIGHT THEN! Can you imagine my happiness and surprise! This isn't just any old girl, this is TARA. Who I grew up with, and ran my marathon with in OCTOBER! After talking we learned that we were going to be in Madrid at the SAME TIME and decided to spend a few days together. The first thing I wanted to do was go to the Madrid Temple. It is a place of worship for people in my church. To me the temple is a place that is beautiful, quiet, peaceful, and where I feel right at home no matter where I am in the world. So I longed to be there.

I talked to Spanish Sassafras about this new development and we made a plan for me to take the first train out of the station Wednesday morning and she would fly into Madrid that evening and meet me. I then received a stirring lecture about all of the scary things I could encounter on my journey and Tara needed to meet me at the station so we could venture through the city together, since I would be hefting a whole bunch of luggage. I heartily agreed.

Well. Remember how I said life doesn't work out the way you think it will? Let's just say that is the theme of this post.

The morning of my train ride SS (Spanish Sassafras) received a text from Tara stating that they couldn't meet me at the station and gave step by step instructions on how to take the Metro from the train station to get to the street the temple was on.

SS was NOT happy. In fact she was SO worried that I would get mugged, or hurt, or lost, or victimized in Madrid..when SS is riled up her speech becomes very fast English with a Spanish accent..kind of like listening to a video on the computer at triple time...with lots of hand movements.She said, "LOOK at YOU! YOU SCREAM TOURIST! I am a woman all alone, mug me please!"

 Tara was worried we wouldn't make it on time to the temple because of the Spanish Siesta, and just figured it would be best for us to meet there. Which I of course understood, and I also overestimated my ability to get around a country alone in which I did not speak the language. I assured SS that I would be fine, I had taken MANY a Metro in my life time and even traveled all over New York all by myself.

To which she retorted, "BUT you were in the USA and you SPEAK THE LANGUAGE and you weren't carrying a whole bunch of luggage's!!!" SS's Mom started to chime in, two Spanish women worried for my welfare. It deepened my love for these two women that they were so concerned for me but I felt like I would be fine. However, after seeing them so worried in my mind I started to worry too. I then told SS not to worry because I traveled all over London on the Underground and Londoners basically speak a whole different language AND I had navigated through Paris for 8 days without a hitch. She reminded me that I was married at the time and not alone and NOT CARRYING LUGGAGE'S! She was right, my attempt to lessen her worry failed.

She insisted that I call Tara at 4:30 in the morning, I tried but Tara didn't answer. I had not one doubt in my mind that she had been painting the town Spanish red and gold the night before and had probably just laid her pretty little head down to sleep.

We drove to the train station and SS dropped me off. She took my BIGGEST BAG, a giant green monster of a thing so I could have one free hand to fight off molesters. Ok. I am only kidding about the molester part. She decided it would be much easier for me to get around without it and she would just check it on the plane that night. I followed the crowd, THAT is my only GREAT TIP. If you are in an AIRPORT, or TRAIN station or METRO station in a place where you don't speak the language...follow the crowd. They will usually lead you to the signs that will tell you where to go. Like Metro-----> with an arrow pointing the way. 

I arrived just barely in time to catch my train. I hopped on and was flooded with anxiety. I knew that was not good, I don't always function my best when I am anxious. I started to worry that I was on the wrong train. Had I gotten on the wrong train? ALL of the instructions from the monitors were in Spanish. The conductor came around, I knew if I was on the wrong train, he would certainly let me know. He looked at my ticket, punched it and went on his way. I could relax for the next hour until I had to switch trains in Sevilla. I plugged in my earphones an listened to a book on my iphone. 

We arrived in Sevilla, I got off the train and followed the crowd. (smart trick) I found my train went through the security checks, and found my seat. Actually, someone was sitting in my seat. So I sat in another seat, but then the guy came to sit in the seat I was in and I had to actually talk to the guy in my seat. He was with the girl that sat next to him and would I mind switching. Ok, I said and moved up to his seat. I was internally annoyed, mostly out of fatigue and hunger. Then I got to see my seat mates. 



I know what you are thinking.
Lucky girl.
This guy in the blue shirt slouched down in his seat took up ALL of my leg room. Which is a problem because I could have taken up all of HIS leg room, and...AND he kept stepping on my feet. I finally gave up flopped over sideways in my seat, on top of my backpack and crashed for an hour or so until I awoke to stabbing pains in my left leg. The bad one, with the veins that had not been removed at this point. My whole leg was asleep from ankle to hip. Super great. And this is when I decided that he got to appear on my blog. I was hungry and grumpy at this point and I had to use the bathroom but I didn't want to wait in line so I waited and ate some trail mix. OH, another tip...I always, ALWAYS pack a gallon Ziploc full of high protein/fiber snacks for moments JUST like this one where you are caught starving.

Snacks I like to pack:

  • dried fruit ( I like apricots)
  • apples
  • trail mix
  • beef jerky
  • protein bars..my favorite are the Cliff 20g of protein bars peanut butter chocolate. It tastes like a candy bar AND makes you feel super full.
  • a few hard candies
  • Sour Patch watermelon's
  • I brought dark chocolate covered acai berries...so delicious
  • Nutri-grain bars when I can't stomach a protein bar but need SOMETHING.
  • a hand full of single serving crystal light mixes for water bottles..the ones with the caffeine.
I arrived at the strain station in Madrid and happily exited the train. I had taken pictures of the directions Tara had given me and a picture of the Madrid Temple with the physical address. 

 Here they are. Oh and I failed to mention the day before I managed to almost cook myself on the beach. I was well done. So that added to me being a little, grumpy and hot and uncomfortable.

I bet a sunburn like this didn't scream...TOURIST.  I had my luggage in hand, and FOLLOWED THE CROWD.  Oh look, the font and my skin match.
Soon enough I spotted the sign that pointed the way to the metro. The tricky thing about train stations is generally there are several levels. So I had to take some stairs up to get to the metro line. Once I arrived at the Metro line it was blocked of with yellow caution tape and SEVERAL police men.

It was at this moment that I felt my first real SURGE of PANIC. I found the policeman that spoke English. Which I did not understand except for the Metro is closed, which I had already deduced from the yellow caution tape. He pointed me back in the direction of the trains and told me I had to take a train up to the next Metro station.

I thanked him and turned. There was a little cafe behind me, it was about 10:45 and I had been up since four. I had eaten the equivalent of a handful of trail mix at this point so I decided to grab some food. I picked a pastry that looked WAY better than it tasted, a bottle of water and a Coca Light for good measure. I ate two bites of the pastry and chucked it. I started to walk back down to the train station and was overcome with an intense feeling that I was not safe. Maybe I was, maybe I wasn't. It could have been all the warnings I had received from SS and her Mom. I am not sure, I just know how I felt. I also know that when I feel this way there is only one thing to do.

I prayed. 

As I walked toward the train escalators I said a silent, and anxious prayer for help. I said, "Heavenly Father, I am lost. I have no cell phone service to call anyone. I can't even access the internet to find my way to the temple. The way I was supposed to go is shut down and I don't have a plan B. I need you to direct me where to go AND I do not feel safe. Please send my Ministering Angels to surround me in a circle of protection." *Ministering Angels AKA Guardian Angels. 

What happened next built my testimony of my Heavenly Father's love for me, that he is ALWAYS aware of me and that he WILL help me. 

I got on the escalator going down to the train station. I felt my Grandpa close by. I knew he was there, I know he is one of my Angels. I had a birds eye view of the station and realized at this point what a huge mass of confusion it was. There were hundreds of people swarming around like bee's in a hive trying to find alternate routes, with the metro shut down. There were long lines at every kiosk and at the station desk. There were stacks of luggage everywhere the whole place was abuzz. I stepped off of the escalator into the swarming crowd and as I moved through it I noticed immediately that a LARGE circle where I had MORE than ENOUGH personal space began to separate ME from the crowd. It was like I was Moses parting the sea, and everywhere I walked a large circle stood between me and all of Madrid. I knew I was being protected, I couldn't see the protectors but I could see the effect they had on the crowd around me and I thanked Heavenly Father for his help and asked, "Where should I go?" I felt to go to the train line as I had done this in Paris and it had worked for me there, I knew that the people behind the glass counter usually spoke pretty good English. This was a long line, but I was not crowded by the people and the unseen circumference of safety stayed in tact. I arrived at the counter, and  tried to explain to the lady my situation. She did not speak English. I showed her the address, she was no help. A man in line behind me began to hiss in some weird expression of annoyance at my being in line. I thanked the woman and left the line. I stood for a moment, still a circle around me of space separating me from the crowd. I felt safe. My head was clear and the anxiety had left. I had this continuing prayer going on, and I said, OK. That didn't work, please direct me where to go next. I looked to my right and there was a sign in purple that said something in Spanish and underneath it it said in small letters. Customer Service. I heard, Go There. So I did. 

There was not a line. I walked right up to a lady's desk she had a calm and kind disposition. She spoke SOME English. I gave her my final destination the picture of the Temple Address. She found the train I needed, and the Metro line I would have to take from there that included several line changes. I was so relieved, because I knew what to do. I then realized that I had to go to the bathroom..PRONTO. I asked her Donde esta el Bano? ( BOY, I am SURE glad I took three years of SPANISH in high school because it has sure served me well) She directed me which way to go and I headed that way. I found the bathroom and locked myself in the stall. I thanked Heavenly Father for his help and guidance. I then decided I would change into a more suitable dress as the one I had been traveling in was not what I wanted to wear when going to the temple. I was thinking about my next steps to take in my travel through the city. I looked at my clock and realized that I had been in the station for over an hour. It was 11:15 and I was supposed to be at the temple for the 12:00 session. I was running out of time and didn't know if the train ride and all of the line changes would get me there in time. I then remembered Loli ( SS's Madre) say, "If all else fails take a taxi." Then SS saying YEAH but a taxi will cost you 30-50 Euro's which is $45-$60 US dollars. There are things I don't mind spending money on like say..SHOES and things I am so CHEAP I don't want to spend money on like...TAXI RIDES. Especially, if I can take a metro which is TEN Euros for 10 RIDES!!! I weighed my options. I decided I should probably take the taxi, since I was alone. I came out of the stall, washed my hands, swiped on some lipstick and adjusted my dress. I walked out of the bathroom and right above me was a LARGE GREEN ARROW with a TAXI on it. I was more and more grateful at almost every turn in this train station. I followed the sign and took a picture here...


I easily found the door to the taxi line and hopped in one.


Here is my taxi. The taxi driver had a app on his phone that translates, I did too but I didn't have WiFi for it to work. I showed him the temple address and he put it in his GPS. I asked him Cuanto..meaning How much will this ride cost? He didn't understand me and handed me his phone. He said it would take 20 minutes to get to the temple. I was adding this in my head and I thought...GREAT this is going to cost me an arm and a leg. I typed in, How much? He typed in 18 Euros. I wanted to click my heels. I said, OK thank you. We were at the temple within minutes. I happily paid the driver and hopped out of the cab. He handed me my luggage and I said, I am a Mormon and this is our temple isn't it beautiful. He said, Si.
I stepped foot onto the temple grounds and gratitude spilled out of my heart. I literally had the feeling that I had been LOST and now I was FOUND. I cried and I was so happy. I walked into the temple and was Welcomed with open arms, I was directed to the Temple Hostel to use the free WiFi. I contacted Tara and SS to let them know I was at the temple and safe. Once inside I ran into a flurry of Sister Missionaries who heard that a Gringa from Gilbert was at the temple. I happily visited with these wonderful women who were dedicating 18 months of their life to the Missionary Work. They each had a connection in Gilbert, none of which I knew. I had a homecoming in the dressing room of the Madrid Temple. I had arrived. I was right at Home.

I know that I am loved. I am loved by my Father in Heaven, by my guardian angles, by my friends and my family. I know that Heavenly Father will help me ANY time ANY where I need it. I am grateful for this experience, and the depth of this knowledge it gave me. I am one lucky girl.

Blessings.
XOXO- The Sunny D





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home