<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Anatomy of the Middle Aged Selfie

Friday, July 11, 2014

Anatomy of the Middle Aged Selfie


The Common "In the car selfie"

I was having a conversation the other night with some of my besties. We were discussing the selfie and middle aged women taking selfies. We discussed the "art" of taking the perfect selfie, there is a certain angle you want to get. The chin dipped, perfect lighting, wide doe eyes while minimizing wrinkles. We have found ourselves in this odd, LDS, mid-thirties, divorced with children group...... dating and trying to figure out life.  There are A LOT of women that post selfies on Facebook and Instagram, some of them post daily/bi-weekly selfies. I started wondering WHY? What is the purpose of all this picture taking? 

I have come up with a few thoughts that answer that question.
#1 Reason for the selfie....there is a man you are dating or talking to that wants you to send him a picture of what you look like. (Which I still totally DON'T get)


#2 Reason for the Selfie....You are a single parent and there is literally no one else to actually take this picture. 
#3 Reason--The " I have friends....and we do fun stuff selfies" 
Mexico

Road Trip

Depeche Mode Concert

#4 Reason for the Selfie...I'm in shape selfie...See? I work out and participate in competitive races



#5 Reason for the selfie.....The I love animals selfie. 



I don't think there is anything wrong with the selfie. Obviously, sometimes there is only one person to capture that picture of that cool moment in time. I do see a problem when someone posts, and posts, and posts obsessively...daily selfies documenting WHAT? That you worked out today? You ate lunch? I see this a lot with people my age. I think there is an underlying issue. Loneliness. People need love, attention, validation. When I see those chronic posts I want to say: You are enough. You are beautiful..YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IT TOO! The two second validation you get from someone liking your picture will not ease that hunger for someone else to notice. It has to come from somewhere deeper. We all have to learn to love ourselves and to know that we are enough. 

So if you feel the need for a little validation, a little love, to know someone cares about you....crank up this song. 


And know that YOU are AWESOME. The key is believing it. 


XOXO-The Sunny D







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home