<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Perceptions.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Perceptions.

ohuffff...........

That boy has my heart wrapped around his little finger. My perception of HIM is that he is the smartest, cutest, BEST, happiest, funniest, little boy around.

“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” 

“No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit.” 
― Ansel Adams

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.” 
― Oscar WildeLady Windermere's Fan

“Dream delivers us to dream, and there is no end to illusion. Life is like a train of moods like a string of beads, and, as we pass through them, they prove to be many-colored lenses which paint the world their own hue. . . . ” 
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love all four of these creative men. Each different, and each to me a genius in his own right.  I have been thinking a lot about perception lately. I mean, if I have one conversation with someone about something am I actually HEARING what they are saying? Or, am I hearing what I THINK they are saying because of the many influences on MY life. Do I hear the positives in the conversation? OR do I hear the negative soundtrack in my head? 

Does this line of thinking make you feel tired? Because, I think about this stuff a lot. 

For Instance: 
There is a song called Breathe by Anna Nalick

I loved this song so much for a long time. It used to play at the movie theater before the previews. You know how they showcase a certain singer sometimes? I remember loving it the first time I heard it. I loved how she slurred parts of the verses, like slurring notes on a violin. Her voice was her violin.

But then something curios happened.

I had an experience that is vivid like the color puce. Puce Green.

I won't go into detail, I will just say that I was walking alone, wandering actually aimlessly. In a zone that no one could break through zombie like. I was aware only that I was in Las Vegas, and that I was riding DOWN on an elevator. I was not drunk. I don't drink, or do drugs. The emotions going through my body were so intense it was like fireworks went off for an hour straight right in front of my face. I couldn't take anything else in. I was walking dead. I looked up and there were those lights everywhere. You know the Las Vegas lights, too many, too bright. When all of a sudden, breathe came over the sound system. Anna Nalick sang just for me and that was when I started to BREATHE. Literally. Just Breathe.

So now my perception of the song is different. It is colored by my perception, by the events in my life at that moment. I feel two things when I hear this song, a command. "Dior, just breathe." and I feel pain, literal physical pain and I see McDonald's, my feet on an escalator, and bright lights all around me. EVERY TIME I hear that song.

A song that was once just beautiful totally changed by my perception of ONE life event.

Except, that now Ihave a birds eye view of it, that event, those chain of events in my life and my perception is different. It is different because although initially I feel pain, I then feel strength. The strength that can only come from walking THROUGH an event just like that one and learning.

So here is another thought, What about my perception of marriage?

I mean, my marriage is over. It was broken, it nearly broke me in fact. But it didn't. Here I am. I have a bird's eye view. I am thankful for marriage. I am happy for second chances and I see my Mom and Dad who have shown me that second chances are just like anything good. They are hard work, but anything that is hard work is worth it. You see, I was able to see my parents marriage from the beginning. Not many children have that perception or what I would like to call an advantage. Many of us look at our parents and say, "This is exactly what a marriage should look like." But they forget that it has taken dozens of years for that marriage to become that well worn in and comfortable. That what they see is two committed people who WORKED for decades!

It is an unrealistic perception of marriage. For a new marriage to be as comfortable as one that has been well worn into like your best holey pair of jeans. There are growing pains and there are JOYFUL moments too.

How about how we perceive ourselves?

I sometimes have a negative soundtrack that plays in my head. I have to work at that a lot. I have to kick that stuff out and look at things with a fresh perspective. I have to remember that my life events sometimes color NEW life events grey and sometimes they color NEW life events pink, and yellow, and blue. 

I guess my point here is that I have been trying to see things from different perspectives, not taking my initial VIEW as the gospel truth, especially if the view is a negative one. Personally, I think the story of Adam and Eve is the greatest love story around. I know some people would look at that story and think it was pretty stinky. But, I see two people deeply committed to each other and to doing the right thing. Do you think their life was easy? I guess some people would say, "What kind of a love story is that?" I see a man who loved his wife and a woman who loved her husband all their days forever. I mean, I don't think it gets better than that. Plus, THEY WORKED TOGETHER, side by side. That is the key my friends. At least that is my perception. 

So, if you have negative thoughts, let them go. If you are unhappy, find something to make you happy. If you are tired, have a rest. If you are content, share your love with someone else. If you are angry, find someone who needs you to show them love. Life is too short to have negative perceptions. 


XOXO- The Sunny D




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home