<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Eggplants and Dinnertime Conversations

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Eggplants and Dinnertime Conversations


I went to an Indian food restaurant. I thought it was my first time but then I as I thought back I realized it was a lie. I had eaten at one once before. I had to check with Unasian Daddy Long Legs first to see if that was really what we had eaten was in fact, Indian food.  I remember it being good. Well actually, that is sort of a lie too. I thought it was just ok. But, I didn't know what to order. The bread was delicious though. That is always a problem for me, I love bread.

So in my excitement I decided to try a little bit of EVERYTHING. It was a buffet, which was thrilling because you could try EVERYTHING for ten bucks. I perused the buffet and picked a few things I wanted to try first for sure. There was food of every color: brown, green, yellow, orange. A friend of mine said that eating food in India is really easy because everything is different colors but it all tastes the same. I spooned a big scoop of rice on my plate. I really love rice. It fits in the bread family. Two thumbs up. Then I picked this vegetable medley thing with orange sauce on it and a few other dishes.

I walked expertly back to my table. I have a rule about eating. It goes like this, first you eat the vegetables, then the rice, and then the meat. There was something interesting in the vegetable mish- mash it was a vegetable I had never seen before. It was a strange shape, I thought this MUST be something really authentic. I wasn't sure how to go about eating it, it had a tough outer shell. The inside was kind of like when you are eating an artichoke and it gets sort of barky towards the bottom. You know?

******Side Dinner time conversation tonight about this Indian dinner. I was telling my sister and Mom this story when my sister said, "OH NO, was it a testicle?" THANK GOODNESS it was not a testicle. I might have had to roll up in a ball on the expertly vinyl covered high backed bench at the Indian restaurant and rock myself back and forth.

I finished off the curry bark and summoned a waiter, I wanted to know exactly what it was I just ate. A man came over and I asked him what it was, he said he didn't know. Hmm. So he retrieved another waiter with more culinary expertise. He informed me that was the top of the eggplant and that you were NOT supposed to eat it. The green stem pictured above.

Oh well. It was actually kind of good.

And now might I ask, why would you have a whole bunch of those in the vegetable medley if they are not to be eaten?

Tonight my sister and I took my Mom to dinner at Olive and Ivy. It was pretty yummy, we tried some new interesting foods there too like duck a la wuasjfljoijfoai. I don't even know what it was but it was good. I was boring and I ordered the grilled chicken greek salad. We were talking about General Conference today and my Mom was telling us about Elder Holland's talk. I had missed a chunk of Saturday afternoon's conference because I had some errands to run. I guess it was on depression and was fantastic. It then led into a conversation about mental illness. My Mom works at the hospital in a unit that sees a lot of really sick people. Well. I guess all the people in the hospital are really sick. Anyway, she said that there are so many cases where people say things like, "The Voices" made me do it. Then she said, "Why can't the voices say, go to work,  don't drink, take your medication, be a good Mom or Dad, exercise, be happy."

I am so glad that is not my trial in life. I feel for those people whose trial it is.

So after I ate the eggplant stem and a whole bunch of other stuff at the Indian food place I got up to use the restroom. I walked to the back of the Indian Restaurant and into the bathroom where there were at least five dead on their backs, legs curled up in a ball roaches. They must of had the testicles.

Good night. XOXO The Sunny D




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home