<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Back to School Pretty for Teacher/Body Issues/Goodbye Summer

Monday, July 28, 2014

Back to School Pretty for Teacher/Body Issues/Goodbye Summer


I have several thoughts going on in my head right now. One is that my brain is slowly grasping that summer is over, that I have a classroom to get ready, kids to get ready, supplies and lesson plans to get ready, and ME to get ready. I always like to have a couple new outfits for school each year. It helps me to feel fresh. I will be using the next few weeks to not only "get pretty" but get ready for those cute fourth graders heading my way. So bear with me I am in transition and I need to talk a little bit about summer here first. Stay with me. It will be worth it. 


Have any of you seen that article about not caring about your body and wearing a swim suit so you can whole heartily play with your kids on the beach?  Here it is in case you missed it: Moms, Put on That Swimsuit I was inspired. I put on my swim suit. This is what followed:

It was in fact this very day. 

After we had played at the beach we headed back to the hotel. The kids showered and I flitted about organizing our stuff. I was still in my swim suit. Ellie walked out in her jammies and lightly rubbed my outer thigh and said, "Mommy, you're a little chubby right here." 

I mean. Awesome. 

I was all geared up to be in my swimsuit glory on the beach with my kids. It was hard for me not to say, "Well sister, you have pretty much inherited this same body type sooooo good luck with those thighs in thirty years. " 

I feel like a lot of this is my body, healthy eating, work out obsessed, but still chubby fault. All I have to say is I have body issues. I am not sure I know one woman who doesn't. Except maybe that naked weird girl that was on the "Bachelor" last season. Mostly, I think that is all a farce anyway. It is now blatantly obvious that I have passed this on to my daughter. I have tried SO hard to be a healthy example to her and Aydan. Sigh. Epic Failure. I pretty much feel just like this. (On a bit of a Jack Handey kick)

With every new sunrise, there is a new chance; but with every sunset, you blew it.

(1949 – ) comedy writer & humorist 


So let's talk about getting this 36 year old body dressed for school. After all, I am still a girl. I still want to feel like I am pretty. I am a tall 5'8, size 30-31 jeans, dress size 10 FULL FIGURED woman. I am still UNDER the national size 14 standard US size for a woman and yet I feel less than. <  Why is that? 
I have been told millions of times that I am beautiful. I have been told millions of times that I am stunning. 

I have also been told:
  • I am built like a farmer ( I tried not to be offended but my ancestors are farmers, so now what?)
  • I have a muscular back and shoulders ( Only bad if taken in the "you look like the hulk" sort of way...Oh and you're a girl)
  • I am built like a German (again German ancestry in there somewhere) 
  • I was told once by a girl in Jr. High that I looked like an egg standing on two toothpicks
  • bird legs
  • apple build
  • sturdy
and the list goes on and on. Unfortunately, these phrases run through my head as I get dressed. Trust me. I have to shut them up EVERY SINGLE time I look in a mirror. So getting dressed can be a chore.  Let's also not forget to mention that I live in the lovely Sonoran Desert. Our days are hovering in the one hundred and ten to fifteens right about now.....staying cool is key.....modesty for me is also very important. What I am looking for as I get ready for school are several things: Musts.

Dressing the Teacher Musts:
  1. Comfort
  2. Mobility
  3. Avoid looking frumpy
  4. Stylish
  5. Affordable...I want Kate Spade style on the cheap...
  6. I need an outfit that will last all day and work as hard as I do.

I love Nordstrom. Love. It. I was recently shopping their anniversary sale. (Another thing I love each year) I found a couple of adorable skirts that met my requirements.
 
The Vince Camuto tube pencil skirt. They were 2 for $69 at the Anniversary Sale. They had several adorable prints but I didn't want to spend seventy bucks. Upon inspection, I realized that these skirts were probably very easy to make. So, that's what I did. The skirt I am about to show you cost me less than five dollars and an hour of my time. My Mom helped me figure out how to make it, but with my serger it was a cinch. 





First I laid a skirt I already had to use as a pattern. It was the exact length I needed but two sizes larger than my actual skirt size. I traced around the skirt, cut it out, zipped up the sides with my serger and my Mom folded the waist over for a quick waist band. The material was a polyester stretch so I didn't even need to add elastic to the waist band. The material is super thin and cool. THE BEST PART about this skirt...because of the fabric it is made out of, there is no need to hem the bottom. In fact, upon inspection the skirts from Nordie's weren't hemmed either.

Here is the look:

Teacher Outfit Numer Uno


Skirt: custom aka homemade, Top: Dolan (Anthropologie) Necklace: Anthropologie 
Shoes: Franco Sarto

Sneaky Tips: I worked at Antrhopologie for awhile. I love that store. It is my favorite. In fact I am anxiously waiting my 15% birthday discount card. A lot and I mean A LOT of their styles are recycled each season in different colors. Check Ebay! Also, if you live in Arizona there is a store in Gilbert on Market Street. It is called DownEast Home. The have last seasons Anthro clothes for a fraction of the price. I scored an ADORABLE tea party dress there for $12. Another Anthro Tip: Don't avoid the store if you love their clothes. I often shop for ideas and pick up cheaper copies at Marshall's or on Ebay. Also, they have GREAT sales. I have bought several dresses there for $40. A great price for a whole outfit, I say! 

Here is the same skirt styled a little bit differently. Color Pop. 

Top: LUSH check Nordstroms, Marshall's and Ebay Belt: Forever 21 and a TOTAL Anthro copy cat they have this belt every winter. I scored for under 10 bucks and have worn it for YEARS. Platforms: Guess..super comfy.


Skirt Length: You want to make sure your skirt is modest for teaching. (Sit Down in it when trying on!) If it comes to your mid thigh..I say too short for school. You also want to make sure it isn't a length that looks dowdy. We're going for pretty, not school marm. 

Back to school Pretty....

XOXO- The Sunny D










Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home