<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Shiny, Happy People

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Shiny, Happy People

Veteran's Day Parade = Shiny eyed kids 

My sister suggested about six months ago that I should read her copy of Dave Ramsey's book called, The Total Money Makeover. It was about the same time school was starting up and so...it sat on my dresser until last Sunday when I finally picked it up and began to read. I also started listening to his podcast when I was cleaning the house and my children were at their Dad's. I have since started following his steps to financial freedom. I have closed three credit cards! It is very exciting to me! I have set a firm budget for after Thanksgiving shopping. I haven't read the whole book yet and so these are just the steps I have taken this week. I think every divorcee should read this book. More on that later. 

It was earlier this week as I was listening to a podcast that he quoted a friend who said, 

"I know I am a good leader when my peoples eyes shine." 

You know that really got me thinking. As, I was running into Trader Joe's to grab some Gingerbread Pancake mix to give to my children's teachers to tell them we are thankful for them this Thanksgiving. 

My mind was spinning. How do I lead? Do I want to be a leader..of a corporation..no.... for my family.... for my students..... Yes. All of the roles I lead came to my mind. 

You know you could really fill in the blanks for that statement with any of our sacred responsibilities. 

I know I am a leader when my daughters eyes shine.
I know I am a leader when my sons eyes shine. 
I know I am a leader when my classes eyes shine. 

Then I started thinking of all the ways I could be a good leader of my home to help my children's eyes shine. I started to think of school and how I could help my students eyes shine. 

Let's face it, there are some tasks in life that we have to do that are NOT very shiny. However, I can clearly think of when my classes eyes have been shiny and when they have been glazed over. I know when my children's little eyes are so sparkly and happy. It is amazing when you think that you, singularly have the power to influence all of these people. It is also interesting to think how much my mood or attitude affects these little people. I have made it a goal to be a good leader. To live this life in a peaceful way because I want the people I come in contact with to have shiny, happy, eyes. Even, when we are writing essays or doing math problems..or my kids at home picking weeds and cleaning the house. 

I was thinking about how I am thankful for so many things. I mean anyone can have a pity party. I've had my fair share for sure. The truth though is that I am in control of my life and it's outcome through the choices I make every day and that truth applies to every aspect. 

So how am I going to be a good leader this holiday season? 

I think it starts with me, and how can I have a good attitude if I am tired, run down, or stressed? 

1. Personal prayer and scripture study. I listen to a chapter of scripture every morning on my way to work. It is AWESOME! 

2. I will work out 5 days a week and drink a gallon of water. My friend has challenged me to work out with her at 5 every morning. This is going to be REALLY hard for me...NOT a morning person!! I have to do it or it won't get done. I am just too busy. I know I am cranky and more tired when I don't work out so I am anxious and nervous about this new endeavor. 

3. I am going to spend TIME with my children and my class. The other day it was cold outside and so we stayed inside for recess. I got the jump ropes out and we cleared a big area and I let the kids jump rope in the classroom. You SHOULD have seen how shiny those little eyes were and then I jumped rope with them! That is like magic, the magic of spending time. 

4. I am going to go to bed when my kids do. 

5. I am going to serve others and help others be happy. Recently, I received a box of Godiva chocolates from a friend. It made my day! She stopped by, talked to me for five or ten minutes and I was so happy SHE helped me to shine. I was also given a bar of Macintosh's Toffee. My friend from Canada left it on my porch. It is a special treat you can only get in Canada. Every time I take a bite of Macintosh's I think of my childhood summer trips to Alberta and my family. SHE made my eyes shine. I thought the first thing I must do is restock our Hot Chocolate bar! Nothing makes my children's eyes more shiny than hot chocolate in the morning! So simple! 

6. We can clean and organize the house and get ready for Christmas. Luckily, Aydan's personal Christmas tree is still up from last year and is now back in season. You heard me. That thing has been up all year long. Super Mom award...I know. Especially with the top hanging over...totally the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. 


I have so much to be thankful for. 
Family, Friends, Health, a great job and so, so, much more!

XOXO-The Sunny D









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home