<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: A Broken Arm and The Ragnar Relay

Sunday, February 22, 2015

A Broken Arm and The Ragnar Relay


On Sunday I received a call from Aydan during church that he may have either sprained his wrist or broken it. He just wanted to inform me. He was at his dad's house doing jumps on some hills with his bike. He landed wrong on one. He wasn't upset, he didn't cry...he just wanted me to know. I asked, "Is dad going to take you to have it checked out?" He said his dad would in a few days.

 I picked the kids up later that evening since Monday was a much coveted day off...Ahhhh gotta love those! I noticed Aydan was being careful with his arm that evening. The next morning I made everyone help tidy the house. We then went for a hike at Usuary Pass to the wind caves with Spanish Sassafrass and her girls and Angela and Manuel and their darling girls. Don't you just love being outside in the sunshine with your family and friends? There is nothing better in my opinion. We hiked, had lunch at the top, and enjoyed each others company. Aydan told me his arm was tender but ok.

Oh my goodness do I love that little Elena! She was hamming it up for the camera! So cute. 



Ellie giving Aydan a big hug after the hike. Aydan pretending he's too cool for it. 

Tuesday the kids were back with their Dad. His step-sister had sprained her ankle or possibly broken it so Aydan's Step-Mom made an appointment for the two of them to be checked out. I received a call from the pediatrician after work that Aydan had indeed broken his arm. I headed to the pediatrician's office after work to pick up a splint. Aydan had the Blue and Gold banquet for Boy Scouts that evening and I would meet him and his Dad's family there later. I felt like the worst Mom in the world because I had made my son HIKE and CLEAN with a broken wrist. I mean HOW CAN YOU TELL SOMETIMES if your kid just wants some attention or they really broke something????? Mom guilt filled my body and mind. SIGH. 

It was a chaotic couple of days trying to get everything arranged in my classroom, with insurance and Dr. appointments..but Thursday afternoon Aydan and I headed to the Orthopedic Surgeon where he was fitted for a cast. I'd be lying if I didn't say he was pleased as punch. It was like a boyhood right of passage had finally been completed. We went to Blue Lemon for dinner where I carbed it up on a kids order of Mac N' Cheese..I had the Ragnar early the next morning! Oh my cute boy..I love him so. I MADE HIM HIKE. oops. 

After dropping him off I had to pack for two days of Ragnar. We were not getting a hotel room this year so I needed my sleeping bag too. There are certain things you need when you run three races in two days. One of them is to pack each of your three outfits in ziploc bags....so you can put your sweaty stinky clothes back IN those ziploc bags after your run and they don't stink up the car. I had some prep work to do and food to buy. I ran errands, packed, and went to bed at 9pm. I was exhausted it had been a hectic week already. I had a 1:30 AM wake up call since I was running in van 1 and we needed to be in Wikenburg early the next morning. The Ragnar Del Sol Relay is a 205 mile race from Wikenburg, Arizona to Mesa, Az.  split up between 12 runners. There are six runners in each van and we each take turns running three legs of the race. 

This would be my fifth Ragnar Relay. I am often asked, "Why do you run the Ragnar?" My usual answer is, "I'm not sure." This time I thought a lot about WHY. WHY do I run this race every year? One of the reasons is you get to be in a van with six other adults which can add up to some really fun times and friendships. I love that. You can't help but love all the different people you get to meet and their personalities. I am in awe with each of the runners on my team each year. You see each other in truly some of the worst conditions, no sleep, poor nutrition, running every six hours LONG ARDUOUS HILLY runs, you all smell terrible. It is magic. 

One of the driving forces for me to run this race is I feel so alive. I feel alive in my body, my senses are piqued and I fall in love with the beautiful landscape, the sun on my face, the night sky above me. The fear of the night running that something might pop out of the desert at you. We have to wear a lot of safety gear at night. A headlamp, back blinking light, and a reflection vest. One night a few years ago as I was running through the desert I looked to my left and saw reflected back to me two greenish white eyes off a little ways. My headlamp had caught them in the darkness. I am sure it was a coyote but I had a REALLY fast time that race. Adrenaline is awesome. 
Night running the Ragnar

When you run you are alone. It is lovely. You can soak up your surroundings and the beautiful desert lays before you in all of its glory and splendor. I am not competitive, nor do I consider my self an athlete. I am an amateur in all aspects of racing. However, this race is so hard and so long I find myself having time to ponder and have long talks with my Father in Heaven. Often I am begging for help to let me finish and help me to finish! I love having that time with my Creator! I firmly believe that you cannot be surrounded by his glorious creations and not feel close to the creator himself! It is a glorious and beautiful world we are surrounded by and solitary running through it makes me feel part of something bigger. It makes me thankful for this grand earth I get to live in. 

Do you see how beautiful it is? The blue sky awashed with wispy clouds...that other runner I passed way back there...haha...four peaks in the background and to my right and left my beloved Arizona desert foliage. 

Subs...the one meal we were able to fit in during two days of running.

Nap time after leg one...naps with 1,000 new Ragnar friends. I lay there thinking when do I ever just get to lay in the grass and look at the clouds pass? When do I get to feel the sunshine warm my skin and the breeze wisp by? Rarely. This is why I love the Ragnar. Time. Time to feel alive. 

I think those things for about two minutes and then I am fast asleep because I am exhausted. 

Honey Pots....This is my night gear. I am with Maria who I love. We are waiting in line for the port-a-potty aka honey pot. It is a common occurrence during the Ragnar and takes up a lot of time. 

Night run. After this leg, which was my second, filled with two huge hills. We went to our resting stop. A few stayed in the van to sleep. I went with Amy and Kyle to the track where they said we could lay out our back packs and sleep. I lay there in the cold crisp grass, snuggly in my sleeping bag. My muscles starting to get sore and stiff. Yet, as I looked at the stars above me and took in the night I found myself again thankful for this magnificent world full of so much variety. 
UNTIL
UNTIL the dadgum sprinklers turned on and got us all wet. So we moved... and they turned on again..and we moved finally to the track where we were able to sleep. 
WELL PLAYED RAGNAR, WELL PLAYED. 
I am not proud of the fact that being awakened at three in the morning after completing 11 miles of running brought out the worst in me and a few choice words. :/ 

This is what it looks like in the van.


My last leg of the race was 5.5 miles uphill. The WHOLE WAY into Fountain Hills. It was here that my team waited for me at the mile marker to water me down. It was hot. I doubted my ability to finish. I didn't train well enough for that run and I was exhausted. But, seeing my team there with water was the sweetest tender mercy. It is those things that warm your soul, the kindnesses. The little blessings like baby wipes for stinky armpits, cat naps, gatorade, a real meal. When you are deprived you are so grateful for the small things. 


Both toes after the Ragnar. 

That is why I run the Ragnar. I gain experience in life. Through pain I feel joy! I get to CHOOSE to have a real earthly experience and to feel it completely, WHOLLY with all of my five senses. I rely on people, some of them I have never met who become life long friends. I have to rely on my Heavenly Father, I get to spend time with HIM. 

Finally after FIVE Ragnar Relay's I can say, this is why I run it. 


XOXO- Choose your own adventure. Life. The Sunny D













0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home