<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Happy Thanksgiving?

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving?


I woke up in the middle of the night it seemed. I turned to the clock and I realized it was 5:30 am! OH SHOOT! I thought. I was supposed to meet my friend at the gym for the first time at 5:00 to start a new work out regime. I was so mad as I had laid my clothes out the night before AND double checked my alarm clocks 4:30 setting. It then dawned on me I had accidentally set the clock for PM. UGH. I text my friend apologizing and decided to exercise anyway. I got out of bed and hopped on my treadmill for 45 minutes. 

I was happy at work and enjoyed my day there. I wrapped my work day up by inputting grades for thirty minutes or so. Then I was off to Costco where I was cut in line by a rude lady with a huge basket of stuff, opposed to my two items. The boy loading the cart gave me a knowing look and said, "I saw how that lady cut you..I am sorry you had to wait for two items." No matter, I decided and headed to the park to meet my Dad and pick up Ellie. You see, every Monday my Dad picks my kids up from school to spend time with them. They usually practice soccer and get a treat at QT. I then meet up with them at Aydan's soccer practice. It has become a highlight of my kids week. 

When I arrived at the park my kids happily ran over to greet me as my Dad practiced his golf swing in the grass. Bouncing up and down a few times and then a pretend swing. It was a common thing I had seen my Dad do a ton of times as a child but had forgotten. Aydan informed me it was picture day for soccer and all of his gear was at my house. I ran home to find his gear.... all the while in the back of my head was the pie I needed to bake...I had PROMISED my class I would bake. I needed to get the crust going it needed to chill for two hours before I could roll it out. By the time I located where Aydan had shoved his gear it was time to pick him up from practice. 

I received a text from the kids Dad asking if I could review Aydan's animal research project it was due the next day. It was here I felt my blood pressure start to elevate. I hadn't seen an email about this in a long time and to tell you the truth, I totally forgot about it. I pictured a long night gathering information and helping a begrudging Aydan write his report as I was mixing the pie crust ingredients. I then looked up the email and realized that only the research portion of the project was due the next day. I felt slightly relieved. It was here that I realized I had forgotten to get the backpacks out of my Dad's car. So I picked Aydan up from soccer and then we had to pick up the backpacks. Aydan had completed everything he needed for his report thus far! YES!!! Fatigue started to settle in as I realized I still needed to make dinner among a few family activities I had planned for family night. 

At home I shooed the children to shower and get in their PJ's as I began to cook dinner. I doubled it since I was supposed to bring something to share to the faculty pot luck the next afternoon at school. I turned on Christmas music and happily made a yummy, balanced, home-cooked meal. Which, thirty minutes before I had almost bagged and hit up the drive through at Kneaders. We ate, and the kids helped do the dishes. I wish I could say happily without argument. That just wasn't how this day was going though. I rolled at the pie dough and put a that yummy pie in the oven to cook. 

By this time the kids were making their lunches and Ellie needed help getting sandwich bags. I turned from the oven and walked over to the pantry to grab her a sandwich bag when I knocked over a jar of pinto beans. The glass jar toppled to the floor and smashed gooey pinto beans all over my flip-flopped foot. Shards of glass were everywhere and all I could see was a huge mess. It was at this point my children cleared out of the kitchen sensing impending doom, I am sure. I grumpily cleaned up the beans, muttering to myself about the glass and the stickiness. 

When before I knew it the timer sounded the halfway bake mark of my perfect homemade pie. I had popped the pie in and forgotten to turn the oven down to 425 degrees. I had left it at the warm up of 500 degrees and burnt it to a complete crisp. It was here that I pretty much wanted to curl into a ball. I sent the picture to a few friends and one said, "How can I help you?" Can I get you a replacement. 




The replacement pie came along with hot chocolate. My friend stayed as we finished the puzzle on my kitchen table, all of us giggling and happy. 

I've thought a lot about yesterday. It was a really not awesome day. Murphy's Law came for a visit, it was like if it could go wrong it did. But then I started thinking of all the things that went right. I thought about the fact that even though there was a set back with my alarm I didn't give up and I still got on the treadmill and that made me happy. I thought about the yummy blueberry protein shake I made myself and that made me happy. I thought about my cute class at school and how they were SO good yesterday morning. They followed every direction and were just silent getting their work done. I thought of how good each one of those sweet students of mine are and it made me happy. I thought of the women I work with who are kind, and funny, and fun. I thought of my new classroom so sparkly and sunshiny with windows that I love. I was so happy that my Dad has taken some of his time to spend with my children and what a joy it is for them. That makes me especially happy. I was so happy to have my children home and to dance with them in the kitchen. I was glad that I didn't cave into buying dinner and fed my children something wholesome instead. I was glad we could do some family activities together and the TV wasn't turned on once! I was reminded how fortunate I am to have friends that love me and help me without me even having to ask or even think of asking! I realized that my day although frustrating was full of beauty and blessings. I realized just how lucky I really am. 


XOXO-Happy Thanksgiving. The Sunny D





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home