<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: I Love Being a Woman

Sunday, January 22, 2017

I Love Being a Woman


There is a lot of talk about women's rights. It is a hot button topic right now but I want to take a minute to tell you why I love being a woman and why I love being an American.

I could have been born anywhere really. Right?

But luck of all luck I was born to a Canadian woman who immigrated to America legally with her family in the 1970's. My mother later obtained her US citizenship.

I love that every morning when I wake up I get to CHOOSE what I want to do. I get to choose what kind of day I want to have. I have a degree from ASU in which I was able to choose my profession. I could have been anything I wanted to be and really still can. Right? That is not a gift that women all over this globe get to choose.

I have my own home and car.

I can work and make a living just like anyone else. In fact I have two jobs, my full time job and I tutor on the side to help make ends meet. This is my choice, I can use my training to be self sufficient and support my family.

I alone as a single woman am responsible for my life and the choices I make. I don't have anyone to cheer on or blame but myself.

I go to church every Sunday and I have faith in God and my Savior. This is a freedom I hold dear and love.

I can vote and exercise my right to vote at election times. If there is a person elected I know that I can write my representatives and my voice will be heard. What a beautiful blessing, I as a woman have the same voice and the same rights as anyone else.

I can choose who I want to date, it is not chosen for me.

I get to choose how I spend my time.

There are so many more wonderful things about being an American woman!

I want to narrate a few reasons why I love being a woman.

First, I need to say that I love my job. I love it. I have always wanted to be a teacher, and I knew from a young age that this was what I wanted to do. Teaching comes with its own pros and cons. The pros are my children come to work with me (something that has it's own pros and cons), I transport them to and from work/school everyday. I know they are safe! I get to give them a kiss goodbye and sometimes we stop for a hot chocolate before school. I have the same schedule as my children which is an invaluable perk. I can move forward in my career. I am STILL learning and growing and trying to hone my craft. I feel confidence in my abilities and work. I feel happy after I have given my all to teaching and the wonderful children that grace my classroom each day. I have co workers who are my friends and I love to rub elbows with these amazing people each day.  I guess the only con is it is a bit of a struggle to provide for my family financially. Like I said, I have choices and one of those choices is tutoring which helps. I love being a woman with a career.

I love being a mother. This week I had one of those mothers intuition experiences. As I laid my head down on my pillow each night I had this urging to go check on my seventh grader and tuck him in. I did this each night and then Thursday night as I tucked him in he opened up about his struggles in school and with friends and sports. SIGH. We had a long talk and finally he settled down around 10:30. I was able to give him a listening ear, love, and advice. I reached out to my friends for help and his Dad. I was able with help to ease some of his worries. That night as we got home from school I was dead tired but everyone pitched in to help make dinner. Aydan made pot stickers, I chopped carrots, green onions, and browned ground turkey. Ellie chopped a can of water chestnuts for lettuce wraps. After dinner, I took my children to get an ice cream cone and we laughed and sang a silly song we had seen on their aunts facebook. We laughed and talked that evening, We came home, we read scriptures and had family prayer. I was so grateful to be a mother. I love being a mother. To me this was a perfect night with my children.

I love feminine things. I love flowers on my table, so much it makes my heart sing. I love pretty perfume. I love a clean, crisp home. I love good healthy food. I love accessories and make-up. On Saturday I got to choose just how I spent my day. I got up and ran. I tutored for a bit. I bought myself a honey pot which made me so happy. It is bright and yellow with a cute little bee on the front. I brought home some fresh baked bread from Kneaders. I got a manicure so my hands will look pretty under the projector as I teach my classes. I tidied up the house a bit and then I spent the evening with two beautiful friends.

I love being a friend. I love my friends. I love each of them for their differences and imperfect but perfect examples they are to me. I love that I can be friends with anyone I want! For instance, on Saturday I had the privilege of spending time with two women who were not of my faith but ARE great women of faith. Isn't that just the best thing? I learned so much from these women and their ability to help others and their path and passions about life. I loved that we could sit and talk as friends do and laugh and then we all fell asleep on my big couch upstairs. One thing that bugs me are people who put other people in boxes because they aren't exactly the same as them. To me that is just dumb. Life is better with friends. I love, LOVE, my friends.

A WHOLE BUNCH of my very favorite women. 


I am grateful to be a woman, I am grateful to be an American, I am grateful I have a voice and choose to write my thoughts and opinions in a blog and I have the freedom of speech to do so! I am the luckiest. XOXO-The Sunny D


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home