<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Courage

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Courage

I sat down with my little girl yesterday afternoon. I was busy cleaning the bathrooms when she came in and grabbed my hand and said, "Come watch the movie with me Momma." I let her lead me to the couch where she snuggled right up next to me. We were watching BRAVE. I knew right then why she wanted me to come, it was the scary part.

I sat there thinking about a lot of things. I thought, I could be cleaning, I have so much to get done. I also thought, how many more summers do I have that my little girl will ask me to sit by her for comfort? What is really important?

 We watched the movie and as you know there is a part where the scary bear comes and attacks the King and then turns on Merida. Merida's Mom has been turned into a bear, the clan has tied her down because of course they don't realize it is the queen turned bear. When the queen/bear sees the big scary bear rear up to attack Merida, she breaks free from her ropes. Although she is smaller than the big, scary, mean bear she is a force to be reckoned with as she goes full on Momma Bear mode to protect her child. Salty tears welled up in my eyes. I felt kind of silly, but this poignant part of the movie resonated with me. There is nothing I would not do to protect my children from physical harm, even spiritual harm. I think this is the nature of women, a courage grows in you that you never knew you had.


I have been thinking about bravery and courage. There are so many examples of courage all around me, I see these women and I watch them. There is one woman I have noticed in particular. She is the epitome of beauty and grace. She is kind and I just love it when I run into her. She is older than me and carries with her wise intelligence, and she is my friend. This woman's husband health has declined in the last handful of years. His heart is sick and he needs a transplant. It has gone from good, to bad, to worse, yet he has courage. He bears it smiling. She is cheerful and helpful. She stands next to him, a pillar of confidence and courage. I see them every week at church. I am sure there have been moments of uncertainty and fear not knowing the future, and wondering if her husband will survive. I am sure there are quiet moments when the tears spill down her cheeks. I can imagine the doctors appointments and medical bills that pile up. Yet, I know she has peace. She has Faith, She is COURAGE. What a beautiful example she has been to me. She has quiet courage, and I know that THIS woman is a force to be reckoned with. She is just the kind of woman I hope I am becoming.

I am grateful to be a woman. I am grateful for the examples of courageous women. I think of my Grandma who is a widow. I am sure lonely, just waiting to be with Grandpa yet still loving all of us, lifting all of us and serving all of us. I think of my Mom, once divorced like me but so much younger. Who stood with strength for her children while Dad's health declined, almost weekly he walked a line between life and death for YEARS, until he was blessed with a kidney transplant. I think of my Aunts, two have had cancer. One survived and one did not. I think of how brave they are, the thought of radiation alone frightens me! I think of another Aunt who raised 8 fantastic children, that takes courage. I think of my best friend, she struggles with a child that has some special needs. She is exhausted but she ALWAYS advocates for him. She is a FORCE to be reckoned with. I think of how tired she must feel and helpless, yet she always finds the best for him, to help him grow and become a successful adult. I think of my other best friend who is divorced who parents her children in a loving, kind way. Who shouldered lies played out in the media, it probably felt like the whole city was watching her. She was so brave. None of these women are famous. Not one, but they are ALL forces for good, forces to be reckoned with, these women are my celebrities. They are quiet courage. 

Be courageous.

XOXO-The Sunny D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home