<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Anthropologie and the Ugliest Car

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Anthropologie and the Ugliest Car




My Ellie at my Preschool Thanksgiving feast 2009. Look at that happy girl, in her pillow case Native American costume.  With the giant scratch on her head. 
There are a few things on my mind tonight. In this picture I was at my most favorite store in the world. That's right, Wal-Mart. I was also RANDOMLY parked right next to one of my best friends, Unasian Daddy Long Legs. It was quite the coincidence. I would be amiss if I did not count my blessings one by one. The thing is...I truly have so many. So many. One of my blessings is my 2003 Honda pictured here. Actually, it isn't even my car. It is my Dad's car he has loaned me so I don't have a car payment for as long as I need it. Which, pretty much probably means indefinitely. Oh sure, I could go out any time and buy a car. It isn't that hard to do. If I did though I would be sacrificing things I truly loved like being able to travel. See picture Below. A garden shed in Seville, Spain. If you know me you know that my heart longs to see the world, all of it. It is one of my true passions in life. 
 My Mom and Dad sacrifice a lot for us kids. My Mom works so my brothers can have insurance and so she can spoil her grand kids.  My Dad owns six cars and each of his kids drive one. He drives the WORST of them all. I mean YOUR teenager probably drives a nicer car than my Dad does. He truly does not care about that stuff. He doesn't care about fancy cars, titles, or anything. In fact, this is him LAST Christmas happy as a clam because he got two cases of golf balls from us kids.

Yesterday, I went to my REAL favorite store Anthropologie. I was talking to my Mom on the phone and realized that we were both headed there at the same time and so we met up. I had a return to do.
I pulled into the parking lot and looked up. I vaguely noted this car that was in front of me. It was in bad shape and I thought, "That is probably some teenagers car that is working here. What a sad little car."  It was an OLD Honda and the front paint had totally faded off the front bumper. It was dented and looked like it had seen one too many days. I walked into the store, made my return. A shirt that had a defect. My Mom walked up to me and we visited. I didn't want to spend any money so we left. We walked out and towards my car when I realized that crappy car....was my Dad's car. I never see the front because it is ALWAYS parked in their carport front to the fence. I exclaimed, "This is Dad's car!?!" My Mom laughed and said, "yeah and I have to drive it today." My Dad had gone to the ASU game in California with my brother and brother in law and they had taken her Armada. We drove in Dad's car to Aj's and it was then that I realized even more deeply JUST how much my Dad loves me. My car although also older, is in WAY WAY better condition than his. I am so grateful for a Dad who has taught me the value of priorities. In truth he has six cars they range from SUV to a Luxury convertible, a Lexus, a brand new Honda Civic, my Honda Accord and the oldest and ugliest of them all...his 2000 Honda Accord. He drives it because he would rather all of us be able to save money, and to have a little fun when needed instead of a giant car payment we are all strapped too. I think he is also teaching us a lesson by his example, things don't matter. They don't. I am so grateful for a Dad who helps me so much in this way. I am so happy that I do not have a $300-$400 car payment. I am glad for a Mom who is one of my best friends. I am so thankful for family. I love my family.

I love my children fiercely. I understand why my Dad drives that old car because I have children, I understand. I found this note on my pillow the other night, I have this stamp. Look at that little cursive signature. Heart Melter. Those pillow notes are the biggest heart melters. I love this season of reflection and gratitude.

The Luckiest. The Sunny D XOXO


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home