<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Chicken Pot Pie Recipe...Better Late Than Never

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Chicken Pot Pie Recipe...Better Late Than Never



I posted this picture online one night because my kids gobbled up this dinner. A lot of my friends and family wanted the recipe. I first should say that my Chicken Pot Pie is very similar in concept to the Chinese dish Chop Suey. This basically means I throw any leftover veggies into it. So here goes...

The great thing about this recipe is it makes enough chicken pot pie filling for two pies. So I bake one and freeze the other half in a Ziploc bag which is ideal for a busy, working, single mom like me. If you have a large family you may need the whole filling. It just depends.

Homemade Pie Crust: I use America's Test Kitchen recipe. It is delicious and turns out EVERY TIME! You can use whatever crust recipe you like the best. We all have our favorite.

When I have time I make my own homemade pie crust. Here is proof! A few pictures I found in the archives and Ellie's Birthday request. She isn't really cake person. This year she wanted a pie.




NOW: Here is the truth, I don't have time for homemade pie crust for a weeknight dinner. This recipe I used half a pie crust I had in my freezer. This recipe I only do a single pie crust. I use any dish to put the filling in. This time happened to be a Pampered Chef 9X9 stone and I just laid the crust on top..in a circle and baked it! I didn't even make it pretty. No one cared they ate the whole thing as you saw in the first photo. 

Pie crusts I have used: 
Pillsbury in the refrigerated section or any similar store brand
Pastry Sheets found in the freezer section by the berries
Biscuit dough dropped in
Or Refrigerated Biscuits

All were yummy crust options. I mean it's a carb, can you go wrong?! 

Filling:
2-3 Chicken breasts 
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
8-16 oz. Sour Cream
4-6 soft potatoes yellow or red are best (quartered) 
1 onion (diced) 
1 pkg. frozen mixed veggies I like the one that has green beans, corn, carrots, and peas. 
Salt and pepper to taste
***I add any veggies that need to be used up in the fridge. I just toss them in at the end and it is always yummy. I always add fresh chopped/sliced carrots, or chopped celery if I have it. I have added broccoli, or veggies from earlier in the week that I have left over like edemame, green beans, all are good in this recipe. 

I use a large stove top frying pan..you will see why

****Make sure to heat your oven to whatever temperature is needed on your crust recipe..follow baking directions for the crust/biscuit/pastry.

So this recipe I had one grilled chicken breast left over from the night before I chopped that into bite sized pieces and pan cooked two other chicken breasts. I took them out of the pan to cool. 

In the meantime,  boil potatoes and carrots to soft/firm not mushy. 

While the potatoes and carrots boil I add a pat of butter to the pan I cooked the chicken in. ( Because who needs 8 dirty pans!)  I add the onion and celery and cook until transparent. 

Drain potatoes and carrots and chop all three chicken breasts to bite sized pieces. Add chicken, potatoes, carrots to the onion and celery mixture. Add two cans of cream of chicken soup and cook until bubbly. Add frozen veggies and 8 oz. of sour cream or the whole 16oz. tub, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until bubbly again. Add to a pie pan, Pyrex, or any square baker. Top with crust and bake per directions. 

You should have a lot of filling left when it cools pour into a Ziploc bag and freeze for another night. 

Enjoy! 

XOXO-The Sunny D











0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home