<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Prayer Works

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Prayer Works



Kindergarten. I attended Edison Elementary School. I don't remember very much about Kindergarten except that My teacher's name was Ms. Ginanette (SP) and she was from Missouri. She showed us a picture of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. We had a leprechaun come to our room over St. Patrick's day which I thought was just magical because we could see his green footprints on the linoleum. She was nice and wore culotte's pretty much every day. There was a BIG mulberry tree in the front yard of the Kindergarten classrooms and we played under it nearly every recess. We had round tables that sat five or six Kindergartener's and when Ms. Ginanette turned around to write on the chalkboard we would run around the tables as fast as we could and kiss all the boys that sat at our table. Boy that was fun!

My Grandma drove me and picked me up from school everyday. I started early at the age of four. One day as school let out I walked out of my classroom at the front of the school and saw a group of kids begin to walk home. The sun was shining it wasn't hot out and I thought what a great idea. I decided to walk home too. Except, I had never walked home.

I did not worry if I knew the way. I was sure I did. I had complete confidence in my abilities and after all this was a well thought out plan.


My classroom was the door on the right. Do you see the Mulberry tree?

I walked down the breezeway and onto the sidewalk. There were a lot of kids walking home and I followed them.

 I turned left and walked to the end of the street.
At the end of the street I turned left. 
I walked to the end of this street and I began to notice that I was the only child left walking. 
I wasn't afraid I just kept going and I knew soon I would be home and in my mind I thought how happy Grandma would be to see me. I walked down this long road and found the street that looked like the one I should turn left on. I crossed the big black road and I knew Grandma's house would be at the end of the street. 


Except. It wasn't. This wasn't Grandma's house and panic started to set in as I realized that I had no idea where I was and no idea what to do. I started to think through the steps I had been taught if I was lost. 1. Find an adult. I remember thinking there aren't any adults and I could knock on a door but then that is a stranger and what about stranger danger? 

It was here that I had one of the most poignant experiences of my childhood. 

I remembered I had been taught by my Mom that if I did not know what to do I could always pray and that is what I did. I folded my arms, I bowed my head, and I remember saying Dear Heavenly Father, I decided to walk home and now I am lost. I don't know what to do. Please help me. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. I unfolded my arms and looked up and a distinct impression came into my heart and mind that said, Turn the corner. 

So I did. 

I walked right around that corner and through the trees I could see HOME. I had turned one street too early. I ran the WHOLE way I felt pure joy. I think this must be what Heaven feels like. When you see home. 



I ran across the street and up the walkway. I knocked on the door and Grandma was having a quilting bee. Sister Arnette opened the door and scolded me. "Where have you been?! Your Grandma is worried sick about you!" I said, "I decided to walk home." I remember her saying I would be in big trouble and then she went to call the school. I wasn't in big trouble. I did however learn a big lesson.

Prayer works. Heavenly Father listens and he will answer your sincere prayers. This has served me well throughout my life. I am so grateful for good parents and grandparents who TAUGHT me what to do in a sticky situation. I am grateful for a Father in Heaven who listens and loves me and will always help me in my long walk to find my way home.


XOXO- The Sunny D



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home