<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Teachers Are Whiners #redfored

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Teachers Are Whiners #redfored

At the "Teach-In" at the State Capitol #redfored

I have been inundated with questions about what red for ed is, what is going on in education, why are teachers upset, and what does this all mean? I would like to answer a few of your questions here as I do not have time to answer everyone individually. 

How does this impact my students and your children? 
IF you are the parent of a child who attends school in Arizona, the teacher of children in Arizona, the grandparent of a child in Arizona, or affiliated with a child who attends school in Arizona this should make the hairs on the back of your neck stand at attention. 

The current budget in Arizona for school funding is operating at 1.1 BILLION dollars less than it was in 2008. Here is a handy dandy graph to illustrate my point. My jaw dropped to the floor. As a parent of children who attend school in Arizona I am bothered by this fact. Basically my children for the whole of their educational experience are getting the short end of the funding stick. THEY DESERVE BETTER. 

The red....is the deficit. 

One of the demands of the red for ed movement is to restore education funding to the 2008 levels. Oh....and that isn't all. 

Did you know that Arizona currently spends $924 LESS per student in inflation-adjusted dollars today that it did in 2008? Currently, Arizona spends 34% less per pupil than the national average. 

NOT OKAY. 

So this red for ed movement is not just for teachers it is about the students. Who is making up the difference in the budget? 

We are. Teachers. Parents. When I went to school the supply list was a pencil box, a pair of scissors, and a box of crayons. What is the school supply list you have to provide for your school? A ream of paper, pencils, markers, tissues, hand sanitizer....the list goes on and on. Right? 


These are baby chicks that our team hatches every year for our classes. Guess who buys ALL the supplies? We do. You see, I am the kind of teacher who loves to engage her students, who LOVES hands on application and this is one way we do that at Franklin at Brimhall. We teach the life cycle in an extension activity beyond the butterflies which....are also awesome. We are teachers that go the extra mile and that is the thing, most teachers are. So who buys tissues when we run out? Glue sticks? Paint? Glitter? The teachers do. Who fills the treasure box? Buys stickers? White board markers, and erasers for each student each year...we do. Teachers do. So all of this funding stuff trickles down and the cost of these things comes out of our pockets. Seriously, can you stand seeing a poor kiddo with allergy boogers running out of their nose have to use those scratchy brown school grade paper towels to wipe their noses?? I mean if you have any heart at all you will answer with a resounding NO!  The cost Kleenex adds up my friends. 

One of my second graders is not too happy with me. Give me back my crayon box! 

The red for ed movement is also asking for a 20% salary increase for Arizona teachers in order to create competitive pay with neighboring states. Also, did you know that if we get a 20 percent raise we will STILL be well below the national average which is $59,000? We will also be below all the states that surround us but it will be an improvement. Here is another handy graph for you as you can see Arizona does not have a teacher shortage. There are TONS of teachers in Arizona, they just can't afford to teach. They are getting jobs elsewhere in Arizona. Arizona has a teacher recruiting and retention problem. 

The red for ed movement is also asking for permanent certified salary structure steps which includes annual raises. When I began my career in teaching in 1999 there were steps you could climb to earn more money. You were paid for experience, qualifications, and additional schooling. There was an incentive to get a masters degree it would be worth your time and effort and something I have wanted to do for a long time personally. However, now if I were to get my masters I would get a one time $1,000 raise. Why would I go into debt for that? 

The red for ed movement is also asking for competitive pay for all Education Support Professionals. This includes teachers' aides, custodians, bus drivers, etc. Without offering competitive pay it has been difficult to recruit and retain qualified individuals in these positions. 
Last weeks art project....Why yes, I am the art teacher in my classroom.


As you can see teachers are NOT whiners. We need your help. This red for ed movement is for everyone.... children, teachers, and staff. Please sign this petition to support the Red for Ed movement. I will personally give you a big fat hug for it! Red For Ed

Schools all around the valley are having Walk In events this next week. Please attend the Walk in at Franklin at Brimhall this Wednesday from 7:45-8:15. When I have more information I will pass it along but we would love your support. 

XOXO- The Sunny D






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home