<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Single Mom Mayhem: Christmas Has Arrived!

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Single Mom Mayhem: Christmas Has Arrived!


The last week of teaching for any teacher is trying to say the least. The kids are ready for a break and YOU are ready for a break. It takes master talent to teach new skills that week with kids that are focused and on task. 
My house started to look like one that might be featured on the show, Hoarders. I found my self running errands, popping in the house, dumping stuff on the kitchen counters, washing loads of laundry, dumping those on the couch. My children had recitals and my class had their Christmas concert the NIGHT before the last half day of school. Genius Planning. (Can you hear the exhausted, annoyance in my voice?) I had my 24 kids plus 12 extras from another class of a teacher who couldn't come to the concert that night. Let's just say the whistle was blown more than once. Wild I tell you, wild little animals until they get on that stage and sing. They then turn into these angelic little 10 year- olds and you want to hug each and every one of them. 
After the concert, I had to run my children around even though it was supposed to be my night off. I just wanted to make sure Aydan was able to go caroling with his scout troop. Aydan arrived home after caroling and then I picked Ellie up to take them to their Grandma's for a sleep over. Where apparently they both threw up all over the couch. I think they overdid the treats in their class parties. After I dropped them off I went to get a massage. I had been downing two Advil every two hours religiously to fend of an impending migraine. At eight, I finally lay down on the massage table and zoned out for an hour. Relief. Finally. I had a conversation with the massage therapist. The sweetest man from Lithuania. I complained about my life for a minute and told him why I had the headache. He gave me some great advice. He said, "When you are off take two days to rest. THEN, you clean and do all the things you need to do." That sure sounded like a good idea! 
 After, I had to go home and make 24 of those little ornaments (Pictured) for my class. My teacher present to them. I do love that little class. 
The next day was a mad dash, I woke up with the headache. I had to stop at Circle K for a gift card as I realized my "Secret Santa" gift was sort of lame for my co-worker. It needed a little something more and she comes to work with a Polar Pop in hand each day. I had to move that dang classroom elf. (Love/Hate) I had to run out to morning parent drop-off duty. Then I met my class for the Friday Assembly. They were so cute, I could just see the anticipation of all the fun I had planned that day. I was completely spoiled with gift cards, kind words, treats and thoughtful presents. We had our party in which the SWEETEST family in my class provided pizza, drinks, cookies and the movie THE CROODS for us! Seriously, The BEST CLASS I HAVE EVER HAD! I was so grateful for my job, the parents, the students. The school then catered a delicious lunch by Carraba's. It was so yummy. That is one of my favorite places to eat and I haven't been there in almost a year maybe. I finished tidying my classroom and finalized grades. I then headed to pick up my two munchkins at their Dad's house. 
We arrived home and I started to clean. Did I listen to the massage therapist? NO! I did have plans and a babysitter so I left for a lovely dinner at Joyride Taco that was DIVINE. Try it. Downtown Gilbert next to Postino's. I arrived home early around nine. I got in my jammies promptly, read one of my new favorite Christmas stories to my kids and conked out before ten. 
I woke up, got the kids in ship shape order and we cleaned this house up. The piled up clutter from the last few weeks was organized and cleared. 

I ran full speed ahead into MOM MODE.

A play-date was set, ingredients were purchased and Saturday this Momma was a force to be reckoned with.  We picked up a little chicken-nugget lunch and fries for these cuties for lunch. We then started crafting. I stole each and every idea from the Internet, none of these were my fantastic plans, but fun was had and that was the point. We made our version of the mini yarn wreath ornaments pictured here:

You can find the tutorial here: A super cute craft blog yarn wreaths. I bought the supplies to do this with my class and had some left overs so we invited a few of our very favorite little friends over to have some fun with us. Aren't they so cute? Seriously, these little friends are just the nicest little people, they have such a nice family too. Love them. 

Note: I had a really HARD time finding the Styrofoam circles needed to make these wreaths so I went to the site SHE suggested and just improvised and bought bamboo rings instead. 


You would never know that this little guy was complaining the whole time. Crafting's not my thing Mom. 

Sweetie Pie.

I love these little toothless girls! 



The kids then made gingerbread houses. While they made their houses we listened to the CD Frozen (awesome) and the story on CD The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School. It was fun. 





I felt happy as I supervised these little activities. I was in the kitchen baking up a storm....ONE BATCH AT A TIME...or today three. I was in a brownie mood, so if you are on my friend list...That Dad*Gum mix is done and these brownies will be on their way to you...TONIGHT. 

Sorry. Blurry taken by Ayder tater. Making salted caramel with my PRIZE sea salt bought in SPAIN this summer. 


Getting to the soft boil stage.....
You can find the recipe for salted carmel brownies here: Salted Caramel Brownies
I also made Smores brownies. You can find the recipe for those here: Smores Brownies
I even made cheesecake brownies and you can find the recipe here:Cheesecake Brownies

Armed with a wooden spoon a few tasty ingredients and that cute apron my Mom bought me, in the kitchen.....I am dangerous. I hope these recipe's are good. The carmel looks a little bit lighter than the one in the blog picture for the salted carmel brownies. So we shall see. So much for two days of resting and then getting to work! 

Christmas is HERE! I love it. I LOVE being a MOM. I love having the kids friends over. Baking. Friends. Family. That's what Christmas SHOULD feel like. Forget this running around stuff! 

XOXO The Sunny D. 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home