<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Honestly, I Want To See You Be Brave. #redfored

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Honestly, I Want To See You Be Brave. #redfored


I wouldn't say that the people closest to me understand why I am so involved in the red for ed movement. There have been some super nasty things said on the internet. Things like "The teachers are screwing my kids over." "Effing teachers Go. Back. To. Work." "Teachers are Greedy." "I don't have time for this I need a babysitter for my kids." To these words I sing these lyrics by Sarah Barielles in my head. We listened to this song on our way to the capitol Friday where I brought my children. I wanted them to see first hand what this was all about. I think they will mostly remember that it was excruciatingly hot. 

Everybody’s been there, everybody’s been stared down
By the enemy
Fallen for the fear and done some disappearing
Bow down to the mighty
Don’t run, stop holding your tongue
Maybe there’s a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is


I will also say the support and love has been astounding as I have been in the public and talking to people about WHY teachers are walking out. When the facts are presented I don't think anyone can question their validity. The bottom line is Arizona schools are sorely underfunded. Here are a few personal examples:



I have a guinea pig in my classroom as a class pet. Why? If you think because he is cute guess again, when you are scooping out piles of guinea pig poop he becomes less cute. Trust me. 

Sandy Hook. He is my answer to Sandy Hook.

The funding for children to get the help they need due to (in my humble opinion) the break down of the family is zilch. There are no counseling groups to help kids with grief, or social troubles, or anxiety, or the myriad of problems children face today. Enter Steve, the guinea pig. When I had a student who had a brother only a couple years older than her fighting cancer, she held Steve whenever she needed to. When I had a student so anxious about coming to school each morning, he held Steve as a reward for coming to school willingly. When I had a student whose Mother unexpectedly lost her newborn baby due to complications, my student held Steve. I'm not a school counselor, I don't have those skills but my answer to the problems of a VERY BLESSED school might I add was to bring in a class pet. They get to hold him, write him notes...sometimes he writes back and this is the best way I know how to calm the storms raging in the little hearts of children. The truth is (and my school peeps will know EXACTLY what I am talking about here....) a deep breath only gets you so far. 

Having a guinea pig is a pain and it is costly. It is $50 a month out of my own pocket, but $50 is worth it if I can ease the troubles of the students I love so dearly. It is Steve the guinea pigs counseling fee.  I literally cannot see another child or teacher hewn down by a crazy person. I can not sit idly by opening my classroom door in fear, holding children behind me to make sure the coast is clear and that what is going on is TRULY a fire drill. This is my solution, probably inadequate but I do the best I can with the tools I have. 

This is why I march. This is why I picket. This is why I share my thoughts with you. I love children. I care about building a better future. I am not skipping school to get a raise. I am being brave to help bring awareness to the HUGE school funding problem in Arizona. 

I stood in the walk in lines at the school.
I stood on Baseline Wednesday night after work, and after my volunteer coaching position that teaches young girls solutions to life and basically how to be a kind empathetic person. 
I got up early and tutored at my second job on Thursday. 
Then I marched at the capitol. 
I got up early and put together goody bags for my volunteer coach position, bags and ribbon purchased with my own money. Because I, like Governor Ducey said am in the solution business. I hope he is telling the truth. 
My kids and I headed down to the capitol. We were there until noon. 
I came home and rushed to the church where we held the banquet for our girls running team at three and volunteered setting up, decorating, serving, and coaching beautiful young girls in how to let their Star Shine! I worked and cleaned until nine PM. 
I woke up at 5:30 this morning to meet my running team at the capitol. A place I am learning how to get around pretty easily now. I ran a 5K with them. I cheered them on and held hands with them across the finish line, surrounded by coaches..six to be exact who are teachers JUST LIKE ME. Volunteering our time, our money, our care. and our skills to build the girls of Arizona's future. 
I came home to fall onto my bed and sleep because sleep hasn't come easy these last few days. 
I have worried about my students. 

To the mean complainers I ask, What did YOU do this week to make Arizona's future better? Besides be mean and complain. 

I am not afraid to stand up for what I believe is right and if you know me, you know that I have a pretty good track record when it comes to making good decisions. Thoughtful, responsible, decisions. So I ask you to trust me. I ask you to educate yourself on the issues. I ask you to not debate me about them, as I am tired fighting for children who can not speak up for themselves and should not have to.

 I believe in second chances and I am hopeful that our Legislature and Governor will do the right thing as they haven't always in the past. BUT, our voices have not been this loud in the past either so let us give them a chance for change. Good, true, real, sustainable, honest change for Arizona's children. Maybe they didn't realize we all care as much as we do. We do care. 

XOXO- I ask you instead of complaining to educate yourself. Read up, form a real opinion and look at both sides. At least then I can respect you.----The Sunny D




4 Comments:

At April 28, 2018 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Tidwell Fam said...

THIS!!!!! Thanks for all you do, Sunny D!!!

 
At April 28, 2018 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Aubree said...

I love how you write. Just reading this has helped me be more empathetic for what you do every single day. I applaud you! I stand by you!
Love you dear cousin.

 
At April 29, 2018 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Teriney said...

Very well written. The GP is a great idea!

 
At April 29, 2018 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home