<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://diortidwell.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Sunny D: Forty One

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Forty One

What has forty one years on this beautiful planet taught me? 

I turned forty one this week. It was a beautiful day. I was grateful I had the opportunity that I had one more day to live surrounded by those I loved. 

So what has forty years taught me? 

Lesson One: Running


I think one of the reasons I love running so much is it is literally a metaphor for my life. Today for instance, I got up to run four miles. It was going to be my first four mile run since beginning training last month. I have slowly built my mileage up from two miles which I couldn't even finish at first to now running three miles pretty easily. Today it was hot, I got a late start and blew through my water too fast. I walked more of my run than I wanted to and I paid the price for the heat later. In running and life you have to:
  • Be Consistent
  • Put in the time and miles each week
  • Be fair to yourself, it is your pace, trust your body and its timing
  • Cheer on other runners around you, I am so that girl that will give you a high five as we run past each other or some positive words. 
  • Sometimes you have to modify and adjust your pace/form/due to injury or weather
  • You can do hard and scary things...you are brave.
Today I was frustrated I got a late start. Sometimes in life we do get a late start, but are you going to keep your commitment to yourself or just throw in the towel? In life there are things that we can't control...like the heat today but I can control if I keep going or give up. My pace slowed but I don't think it matters how long it takes to get to the end goal as long as you do it! So many lessons I will not bore you with but running stretches me mentally, physically, and emotionally. It is a wise teacher.


My Amazing Second Grade team and I competed in a Spartan this year.




Lesson Two: Love Hard

What does love cost? Nothing. It is absolutely free. One lesson I have learned this year is the more love you give the more you receive. It is a scary thing for me to put my heart on the line. I don't like it, being vulnerable is extremely difficult for me. But, there is love everywhere....... as you can see in some of the pictures I have found and taken over the last month. I am trusting in the power of love.




Lesson Three: I am not always right AND I don't like it very much when you tell me so. 

You know the song Mother Knows Best from Tangled...I think it should say Dior Knows Best. Haha. This week I have been challenged and given feedback by several people I love. It hasn't been pretty. Often, I take others observations about my behavior as a personal attack. I often feel very hurt. It is very common for me to realize later that there is truth in the observations. My go to reaction is get hurt and then shut down emotionally and hide. That is my self defeating behavior, I own it. I KNOW I do it and I KNOW there has to be a better way. 

A REAL honest to goodness question to all my friends here...HOW do YOU handle constructive criticism from others? I just shut down many times it's literally like someone unplugs me and I power down. How can I improve my ability to be vulnerable and have those tough conversations? How do you stay present? How do you allow your heart to be vulnerable but also protected? I would love to hear your ideas in the comments or private message me. THIS is really something I intend to improve on. 

Who doesn't just love Brene Brown? I have read all of her books and this quote helps me to rub the dust off and get back up again. I love it. 


With that being said if you are a fan of Byron Katie....you will know that often times our observations/judgements we see in others are just the judgements we have about ourselves. I truly believe there is truth to that and if you haven't seen Byron Katies book Loving What Is, You should go out and get it and apply its powerful process. I mean if you want to...it has helped me. 

Lesson Four: Go on Adventures

My suitcase BIT the Dust. This thing has been ALL over the world and when the handle pulled right out I was sad. I mean who remembers when sequins, zebra print, and hot pink ruffles were all the rage...yeah, it has been awhile. I loved this suitcase because it was so easy to spot coming off the carousel. Adventure is the spice of life and I love it. I love going on adventures and planning adventures. I hope to have many more in the future. 

Lesson Five: Blood is thicker than water

I love my family. I know they will always have my back no matter what and that I am loved NO MATTER WHAT. I love my children NO MATTER WHAT. That is such a gift. I am reminded of it daily surrounded by my own immediate family but as I visited and talked with my cousin Meghan last Sunday I just felt so much love for her. I just love her! That goes for all of my family members far and wide. I love you. I am grateful for you for your love and encouragement and the bond that we share. You are my tribe. 
Ok not the best picture but our Mom has instilled in us the gift of adventure. Of travel and loving other cultures, of not judging them but wrapping our arms around them and soaking them up and enjoying the beautiful things that other people have to offer. This is my IMMEDIATE girl tribe on an adventure to NYC.

No one can replace a sister! Love my sister Morgan. 
My Babes. 


Lesson Six: Find Your Tribe

I have been so blessed to have friends who are my literal GOLDEN GIRLS. I mean I think if we could all live in a cul-de-sac we would. We would be those people. Some are near and some are far but we are ALL Gilbert Golden Girls. 
Jack Johnson with Emilynn, Brit, and Courtney

Laura....she is the best. 

Maelynn, Courtney, Tessie, ME, Emilynn

Misty....I miss you!

and this one. 
She could be a sister. She took me to the spa for my birthday and we decided to go lay out afterwards...well they had this quiet room in the spa. Where Heather and I went and laid down for a minute after the massage. TWO AND A HALF HOURS LATER we both woke up! There went our pool time. But she gets me and loves me and I love her. I love you Heather.



Here's the truth. I am living on a song and a prayer. I trust God. I am planning adventures..there is one in the works. YIPEE. I don't have it all figured out but I have good friends and a solid family. Most days I am flying by the seat of my pants but I am grateful for one more year. One more year. I am sitting in the drivers seat and excited for what this next year brings. 

XOXO- The Sunny D




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home